Rear window is considered, not only one of Alfred Hitchcock‘s masterpieces, but also one of the greatest movies ever made. Maybe you’ve seen it 3, 4, 5, even 10 times (you’re not insane, don’t worry: it’s a masterpiece!) but, maybe, you don’t know two or three things about its making of, rumors, and their main characters!
Yes, let’s go together literally behind the scenes to discover more: it’s gossip time!
1. Rumor has it that another true story inspired Hitchcock, that is to say the affair between war photographer Robert Capa and actress Ingrid Bergman. The theory is based on the fact that Hitchcock was an eye witness because at that time Ingrid Bergman was filming Notorious with him. James Stewart’s character has a couple more details in common with Capa, like that both of them lived in the borough of Greenwich Village.
2. The character of Lisa (Grace Kelly), the girlfriend, and the one of Stella (Thelma Ritter), the nurse, are not included in the original short story: in fact, the movie is based on “It Had to Be Murder” by Cornell Woolrich, that’s been adapted for the screen by John Michael Hayes.
3. As we can read in the book Hitchcock by François Truffaut, the screenplay was enriched with two real murder cases, crime news found in the press, happened in 1910 and 1924 overseas, both in England.
4. James Stewart’s wife, Gloria, was very, very, very concerned about his husband filming with Grace Kelly: she wasn’t only one of the most beautiful women in the world, with a bright career, but she had also a “history of affairs” with her partners on set. Almost insane for the situation, Stewart’s wife spent all her time on set to keep an eye on the couple!
5. One of Grace Kelly’s rules was not to be filmed smoking in a movie, so Hitchcock had to find a trick to show Lisa smocking. Here the editing makes the entrance: with a clever cut, we perceive Grace Kelly smoking, while she actually is just ready to light a cigarette in her lips (before) and holds a lit cigarette in her fingers (after). That’s the magic of cinema!
Enjoy some behind the scenes pictures.